Saturday, April 23, 2011

Getting Started

 A few of you asked if I could explain what I know about couponing. I'm just starting and there is a lot I still need to learn but what I have learned so far is awesome and I now have a new obsession! I listed a few blogs and websites that I have found with some really great information. The first one, livingwellspendingless.com is amazing. Ruth, the blogger, really explains things well and she often videos tapes herself shopping teaching us coupon newbies how easy it can be. What I love most about it is that she even takes her kids to the store with her while she video tapes and looks for great deals. Ruth is my new role model! :) The websites that I have attached have great tutorials on how to coupon, Where to start, how to get organized, and how to get that stock pile started! 

I keep all my coupons in a binder in baseball card holders. You can find the card holders at walmart, 30 pages for 5$. Buy A LOT! LOL! I have already bought 3 packs and I am in great need for more! I made dividers, catagorizing my coupons by groups; such as refrigerated, frozen, pharmacy, bath and body ect. I get one Chicago Tribune delivered to my house and then this past Sunday I sent the hubs to buy more, all the gas station had left were 3. I clip all the coupons from the inserts, even if it's not something that I would buy. I file the coupons with products I will use or that I am willing to try using. I take my big ol' binder with me every time I go to the store. The left over coupons I am keeping incase there is a big sale and I can get those items free or pretty darn close to free so that I can donate those items to the local food pantry. I also offer the extra coupons up to friends and family. Anything left over and expired coupons, I have heard can be sent over seas for the military. (I haven't gotten that far but will let you know as soon as I do).

Couponmom.com has a tab: grocery deals by state that I like. I select the grocery deals by state tab, then select the stores that are near me. Couponmom lists everything that store has on sale that week, what coupon you should have, what your final price is and the percent you save. 

example:
Coupon insert date: 4-17 R2
Discription: Nivia Body wash 16.9 oz -CHARITY
coupon value: $3.00
QTY: 1
Sale price: $3.79
Final price: .79$
% Saved: 82%


*4-17 R2 - the insert came out on april 17 and it was the red plum 2 insert. 
* Charity - it's such a good deal that if you don't use it, it can be donated

The website lists everything the store has on sale that week. I would suggest to print the whole page and then go through and highlight what you will be buying. Print out a list for every store and highlight the same  items you want to buy from every store. The store usually have the same things on sale but you might pay more for Laundry detergant at Target then you would at walmart. This way too if you decide you keep all your coupons so that you can donate any free items you have the sale list on hand. Printing the "sale list" also saves me a lot of time because I don't have to go through the sales adds. I still look at them but I don't spend as much time comparing prices and all that.

I hope this was enough information to get you all started in the right direction. If you have any questions about anything send me a message, I will try to answer the best I can and if I don't have the answer I will find it for you! Good luck and happy clipping!

*Remember: more papers you buy=more inserts=more coupons=more items!!
*You can use one coupon for each item you are buying. If you buy 4 body washes you can use 4 coupons. 
*If you have a store coupon and a manufacturer coupon you can use one store coupon plus one manufacture coupon for the same item. 
*You can use a buy one get one free coupon for an item and then if you have for example a $1.00 off coupon for that same item you can use that coupon for your free item. (That's what I have read, I haven't tried it yet.)







For Printable coupons I use:
Couponmom.com
Coupons.com
Smartsource.com
Redplum.com
Target.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.